It is now a well understood fact that 80% of our immune system resides in the gut (sometimes also called the stomach, but actually refers to the small intestines). Additionally, 90% of your serotonin (feel good hormone) is made in your gut! And it is also, literally, a command post for much of the rest of the body, containing nervous system transmitters that are on par with the CNS of the brain and spinal cord! These three facts alone demonstrate how important the health of your gut truly is.
How have our guts gotten so off kilter to the point that having gastrointestinal disorders is the new norm? Have you noticed that just about everybody seems to have either IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), SIBO (small Intestine bacterial overgrowth) or GERD (gastroesophogeal reflux disease)? They are also now finding that a problem called Leaky Gut Syndrome (erosion due to inflammation of the intestinal lining of the gut) is probably the root cause of the multitude of autoimmune disorders that are skyrocketing.
I don’t want to over complicate this subject. There are HUGE volumes of literature, published papers, books, articles and seminars about gut health if you want all the finer points. Just type ‘gut health’ or ‘leaky gut syndrome’ into the search bar and you will be deluged. The simple correlation is that there has been a parallel rise in gut disorders with the use of pesticides, herbicides, creation of frankenfoods and toxic water supplies. Our poor guts and detoxifying organs were never meant to handle this much toxic overload. Much of what you read will encourage you to:
- Reduce Stress (constant release of cortisol is like an acid drip which eventually damages all your body systems, 90% of disease is stress related)
- Get Enough Sleep (your body repairs itself at night)
- Reduce Toxic Overload (this includes personal care and cleaning products which are rampant with toxic chemicals)
- Stop eating Gluten! (the wheat we are eating now and what our grandparents ate IS NOT THE SAME! It has 4 times the gluten proteins which our bodies cannot break down so causes inflammation)
- Stop eating Sugar (number one contributor to inflammation)
- Eat clean organically grown food (No GMO’s, pesticides, herbicides), include probiotics such as kefir, sauerkraut or kimchi. Eat ‘clean’ meat, not inoculated with antibiotics. Antibiotics kill all the ‘good bacteria’ in your gut).
All of these are very good actions that will go a long way towards healing and repairing damage done. But there is yet another beautiful way to help repair and balance an overly inflamed gastrointestinal system. By addressing the gut region with essential oils, it is possible to stimulate the body’s immune system, in addition to the endocrine (hormonal), digestive and central nervous system. Taking a more holistic approach with plant based solutions, which are easy for our bodies to recognize and use, makes more sense! Consuming essential oils in their original plant form as a leaf or a flower or seed provides benefits, but since essential oils are 50-70 times more potent than herbs, the healing benefits can be accelerated when using them as a more potent essential oil.
Please remember that therapeutic grade essential oils such as doTERRA’s, which I use, should be treated with respect because they are potent. One drop is a dose, no need to overdo!
All oils mentioned may be used in the following ways:
- take cap off and inhale directly from bottle for quick relief or place a few drops in a cold air diffuser for longer periods of support. Because of the connection from our brain (aroma receptors) to our gut, the aromas alone of essential oils offer powerful support
- place 1-2 drops in 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil and rub in clockwise motion over abdomen
- place 1-2 drops in a veggie cap and take internally
- 1-2 drops in a full recipe provide great flavor as well as the protective gastrointestinal benefits
Here are my top 8 essential oils for digestive health:
- Peppermint – Typically, can be used effectively to prevent nausea and vomiting and other harsh gastro contractions. It is very soothing and calming, reduces bloating, gas and indigestion.
- Fennel – Fennel seeds used to be chewed after a meal to improve digestion in many European countries, and it was included in many meals for this same reason. It has been shown to reduce intestinal spasms and increase the motility of the small intestines. Caution during pregnancy or susceptible to seizures.
- Ginger – Has been used traditionally for 2,500 years for supporting healthy digestion. Excellent for nausea relief, protective effect for ulcers, reduces bloating and gas. Delivers powerful antioxidant protection.
- Cardamom – cousin to Ginger and is known for its excellent antioxidant protection. It is a good aromatherapy option for nausea post operative. It can relieve the spasms of stomach cramps or loose stools.
- Caraway – also reduces spasms and helps with indigestion, gas and colic.
- Coriander – The Chinese have used this for centuries for dysentery. Reduces indigestion, inflammation, flatulence, loose stools. Use sparingly, can be stupefying in large doses.
- Tarragon – Traditional in French cooking, may help reduce dyspepsia, flatulence, intestinal spasms, nervous and sluggish digestion.
- Digest Zen – a blend of Ginger, Peppermint, Tarragon, Fennel, Caraway, Coriander and Anise. The synergistic power of these 7 oils alleviates unexpected bouts with food poisoning as well as the occasional diarrhea or constipation. It facilitates the balance and repairing of the entire digestive tract and aides in the digestion of foods.
DoTERRA has made it really easy to maintain a healthy digestive tract with this blend of 7 oils in Digest Zen. It comes in a 15 ml bottle which contains 250 drops. You may use this blend the three ways mentioned previously; aromatically, topically or internally. Alternatively, to bypass the esophagus for ease of internal consumption, you can ingest the oils via a softgel with this product, Digestive Bend Softgels, delivering the soothing oils directly to where they can be utilized.
DoTERRA also offers a product called DigestTab. This is a calcium carbonate tablet infused with the Digest Zen blend and will aid with occasional heartburn, stomach upset, sour stomach and indigestion.
Are you serious about supporting your gut so it can do the job it was created to do?
I have talked to many people who have chosen to work on cleaning up their gut and consequently, many of their health problems were alleviated. This can be your story too! I invite you to try the power of this natural solution instead of the synthetic, toxic chemicals found in many over the counter and pharmaceuticals that only symptom manage, but do not address the root of the problem, at the cellular level. This is the strength and beauty of what essential oils do…..balancing, restoring, repairing and energizing!
Wishing you abundant health and many blessings on your journey,
If you are ready, then see here to learn the exact steps of how to purchase.
Or if you already know what to do, then click below: